Pages

Go Green(s): Collard Greens, Kale, and Dino Kale (Lacinato Kale)

I'm a minimalist when it comes to cooking fresh veggies. Anything to make the core, earthy flavors shine. Here's what I do for dino kale.

  • 1 bunch of dino kale, washed, stemmed and cut into ribbon-like pieces
  • Olive oil
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • Pepper to taste
  • Vegetable stock or broth (optional)
  • Low-sodium tamari to taste
Add olive oil to a large pan over medium high heat. When pan starts to warm, add the kale ribbons in batches (kale will cook down, just be patient!). Stir, stir, stir to cook the kale down. When kale starts to get soft, add garlic. (Note: I'm a BIG fan of raw garlic, so I like to add my garlic a little later in the game so that it keeps that acrid heat that I find so wonderfully characteristic of raw garlic. Feel free to add the garlic with the olive oil at the beginning, before you pop the kale in, if you like your garlic more mellow.) Add pepper to greens to taste. Turn heat down to medium.To prevent the greens from losing moisture and drying out or burning, add a bit of vegetable stock to keep the greens simmering (you can also just use water). Cook until greens are at your desired tenderness, adding tamari to taste about two to three minutes before you remove the greens from heat and serve.
Tonight I toasted some sesame seeds and added them to my greens as a garnish. It was really tasty--I'd recommend it.

No comments:

Яндекс.Метрика